NSR 105

Summer 1993

NSR found a new mountain site in May 1993 and continued to broadcast throughout the Summer with reasonable success. Weather-wise, it was a great summer; there was lots of great music out - but 98FM and FM104 were playing none of it. They would not play a song until it had been in and out of the charts for months – then they would say that it was “New Music”! It was so frustrating. They didn’t understand or realise how many people were listening to NSR, Sunset, Coast and DLR! Adsell conducted a survey that suggested that 47% of 15 – 35 year olds in South Dublin listened to DLR – this caused havoc and DLR were raided, but returned the same day.

While the summer of 2002 had belonged to NSR, summer 2003 clearly belonged to Sunset. Sunset had its finger on the pulse as regards the booming underground dance scene and broadcast each day from twelve noon with a whopping signal from the mountains. Sunset had also begun to run gigs at Club M and now had the one thing that we didn’t have – money, which they used to buy new transmitters and studio equipment.

Meanwhile, Sunset tried out a new site, a former Radio Dublin site, close to Lamb Doyles and ran into problems when their site was broken into and cleaned out twice in two weeks. We would have been delighted to have been considered a suspect but we didn’t have a 4 X 4 and didn’t have the audacity to drive across the side of the mountain in the middle of the night and then boast about it on air the following Sunday on the ‘Station News’!

As Summer approached, NSR took up our new mountain site at Barnacullia, Sandyford, Co. Dublin. The rent at the site was £40 per month – a good deal more affordable than the previous site, although it was not as good a site. The site owner, unfortunately, restricted us to using one dipole antenna - he didn’t want the antenna to be seen from the road. We were able to run 25 watts from the site and got a reasonable signal out, although we were restricted by geography in getting too far east or west. During the summer, new presenters ‘Baz Pants’ and ‘Rory The Boy’ joined and the station became more dance-orientated.

At this stage, we moved to 105.3 on account of Beaumont Hospital Broadcasting being assigned 105.0 FM. Our frequencies at this time were 105.3 and 107.2, although we were anxious to use 105.6 before another station used it – nobody would go on 105.7, only .3 Mhz away from the powerful DLR signal on 106.0, but several stations had begun to pop up on 105.6. These always seemed to emanate from the west of the city, where our 105.3 signal was weaker.

During the summer, Sunset Radiop's Garv Rigby presented some shows as a guest presenter on the station.

On another occasion, Sunset moved its main frequency from 106.8 to 107.0 Mhz. This was considered to be too close to NSR’s link frequency on 107.2 and a tug of war over the frequency took place, with NSR putting a transmitter on 100.4, .2 Mhz away from Sunset’s link on 100.6. At this stage, NSR was on 105.1, 105.5, 107.2 and 100.4.

This quickly escalated into a full scale conflict, with angry phone calls and threats made. At this stage, Sunset was a bigger station, with more power available to it and, in a muscle-flexing situation, it should have been ‘game over’. However, a few hours later, with NSR jingles going out over Sunset’s main transmitter, Sunset decided to move back to 106.8 at short notice! How kind!.

Even though there were many arguments and conflicts between NSR and Sunset, the two stations co-operated on several occasions in difficult times, with the two owners lending each other transmitters on more than one occasion. Later, when Sunset were raided in 1994, we lent them a transmitter, and Sunset relayed the closedown of Kiss 103. All was fair in love and war, but when push came to show, we helped each other out whenever we could.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player